First, the news: Beyond Awakening now has a Twitter feed, @BeyondAwakening. It’s mostly just announcing new blog posts, but it’ll also occasionally have otherkin-related news, event announcements, and so on.
Secondly, the link round up: There has been a ton of interesting things happening on the otherkin community lately.
New Websites: A few otherkin have come out with personal websites hosting excellent articles, experiential writings, and spirituality essays. I’m very excited about this and I hope it continues as a trend; it reminds me of the period in the therianthropy community when personal essay sites were cropping up left and right, like Thébaïde, Absurdism, The Sanctuary, Being Lion, Spotted Fur, and many that are no longer around.
- Eldr: Writings on spirit-work, firebird spirituality, and jotun nature from a jotun otherkin.
- Walking Between Worlds: Essays on elves and the otherworld by two elven otherkin.
Tumblr: The subset of the otherkin community on Tumblr has been fascinating to watch. It’s different than anything I’ve seen in the ‘kin community thus far. They’re focused on activism (with some cross-over with the social justice community), affirmation and validation of otherness (sometimes going so far as to use the term “non-human” instead), and the nature and experiences of being otherkin in today’s world and culture. In some ways, it seems like a reaction against the trends of the bulk of the otherkin community to say “you’re just human now, deal with it”. They’re doing some very intriguing work and talking about otherkin from different angles than I’m used to seeing.
- Dear Solace: A secrets and advice Tumblr – This is kind of like a combination of Post Secret and Dear Abby for otherkin.
- Kin Diet – A Tumblr with recipes and ideas for kintype-related food.
- Kin Speak states its mission as “an anonymous medium for otherkin people to share their thoughts, feelings, experiences, and ideas in an environment free from anxiety about what others may say or think about them”. It’s also engaged in open dialogue with skeptical non-otherkin in some outreach and activism.
- nonhumanquotes – Lovely images and heart-felt quotes about being other-natured.
- Otherkin News is a Tumblr mirror of the LiveJournal community of the same name.
- Species Dysphoria Survey: A survey “designed to gather information about species dysphoria relating to otherkin, therians, and other non-human identifying people. The purpose of this survey, is to collect data from and by people who experience species dysphoria so that the wider community can understand it better.” Make sure cookies are enabled on your browser.
- The Forest Voice Call for Submissions – A call for submissions from a “new non-human zine” that the editor, Tsu, intends to have double as a glamourbomb.
- Feathertail’s Otherkin FAQ – An FAQ by a fox/dragon otherkin.
- Nonhuman Identity: A Guide to Otherkin, Therianthropes, and Other Nonhumans for the Social Justice Community – An introduction in .pdf form to otherkin, etc by Tsu.
Articles: These are articles that meet the writing challenges posted about before on Beyond Awakening, even if they weren’t written for that purpose.
- More Thoughts About Monsters – Myth, monsters, and being a monster, by Tsu.
- Mythology – Tsu on mythology, cultural and personal and ancestral.
- Swangirl – Tsu on the balance, synthesis, and alchemy between human and swan within her.
- Tell me what it is like to be a swangirl – The title is the question, and Tsu’s response is beautifully evocative.
- The Upside-Down of Grounding – The struggle of learning effective ways to ground with a non-standard energetic system, by a fae-kin.